Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Which lasts longer: 7 Lipsticks or ONE piece of Art?

$100. 

The quandry =  7 1/2 lipsticks or ONE fabulous little piece of art?

I love lipstick more than the average bear but really, those things are only going to languish at the bottom of my bag. I have a big mouth and I cannot use up seven and a half lipsticks. Can't. But luscious art lasts a long time.

Right now, I am engaged in a fabulous hunt for artists selling a portion of their work at very affordable prices - more than affordable prices. Yes, you can find A LOT of cheap and not-so-good art online - but I am talking about good, quality work at surprisingly affordable prices. I am collecting my favorites on a pinboard called "Good Art for Under $100."
How can artists afford to sell their original art for such a teeny, tiny amount of money? Really - $100 for original art = practically free. 
The low price is due to a number of factors:
size - It is tiny! Not bad. Just small. You really need to READ the description of the art. Tiny art is awesome - just make sure you understand the size. 
medium - What it is made with. Prints (such as etchings, woodblock prints and those guys), drawings and other works on paper will be less than a fancy oil painting.

Suspenne, 8"x10", Acrylic Monotype, Amantha Tsaros, 2012. ($95)

experience - Artists who are just starting out - but who make great art will charge a little less than other artists especially if that artist is already represented by a gallery.
I will post some marvelous finds here on my blog, but you can check out my newest finds on my Pinterest board, "Good Art Under $100".Please have a look at my Pinterest board or suggest some artists in the comments section! 

Now then, Good Art Under $300 is coming up. Because paintings and other works NOT on paper are not - or should not - be $100 or less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment