Sunday, July 24, 2011

Painting with Kids: How do you find the time? (Part 2)

These are not preschool craft-related posts. This is for those who have children yet dare to make art. 
Amantha Tsaros, Rhodies Gone Wild, 16x12", ©2011

Let’s talk about grabbing a few, fat hours of studio time.

Get up EARLY. I get into the studio at 5:00 a few times a week. Oh, you’re tired? Tired of not painting or weaving or carving? If you have cared for an infant you have proven you can function with less sleep than you would prefer. Working regularly is energizing.  Just do it for a few days a week.

You will look like a basset hound but honestly, we aren’t getting any younger so who cares? I’d rather feel hot with a rocking body of work than be hot with a rocking body.

Yes, I am dog tired at the end of day. Then it’s easy to fall asleep early and get up early.

What are your tips for finding work time? How do you manage to get into the studio?

6 comments:

  1. I tip my hat to you.That you are able to do all you do that includes helping out mom when you can.I am very proud of you and your accomplishments.You are raising 2 great kids,and have a terrific husband in Tom.We love you all lots.
    Also,love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the "rocking body of work" part. That's getting me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined the 5:30am club last week and it really is a wonderful time to work. The getting up doesn't kill me, its making myself go to bed that is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, Thank you. I am working as hard I can without making myself sick.

    Trish, I would love hear what you are thinking! Let me know. Would like to talk landscapes and color.

    Kathleen, You go! The getting to bed is really a challenge, but after the first day or getting up super early, you will be anxious to get to sleep that night. I like getting a leg up on the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a rocking body of anything sounds good to me. btw, i tried getting up at 5 a.m. this week. only did it once and it wasn't bad at all. now that i know you're doing it a few times a week, i am motivated to try it again. thanks for the inspiration! and i love your greens in both this painting and the last one. atta girl, amantha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Betty! I was up at that ungodly hour today too - and it is Saturday. Noisy men going fishing woke me up and I figured, "Well, I'm up..."
    Let's rock it all.

    ReplyDelete