Monday, November 14, 2011

Let's Make it Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

Amantha Tsaros, Red Blossom, 12x9" (c) 2011
Mom always says that if there is no price tag on something then you can't afford it.

It is hard to buy something if you have already decided you can't afford it so you won't even inquire.

Did you know:

  • Artists want to help you get their art in your home.
  • You can often give a painting a trial run. (I will let you hang it in your house first to see if you like it.) 
  • Some artists will arrange a payment plan? (Like me.) 
  • Artists accept credit cards.
  • We want to make it easy for you to buy art you love.


I want to know that my art is hanging someplace where it is enjoyed by its owner. The whole experience of collecting art should be pleasant, easy and satisfying. How can we do this for collectors?

I used to find galleries terrifying and it prevented me from collecting art.

What stops you from bringing a painting home?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amantha, great point here. I think a lot of people just assume that they can't afford original artwork and so they don't even enquire. And some I believe feel as though they can't identify with it because they did not grow up with it in their home. I believe that if artist continue to communicate with audiences about their work and encourage them in discussions then perhaps they will begin to feel more comfortable and will see it as something valuable and worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post! I think people don't realize that they can ask about doing a payment plan. It is an easy way not to lose out on a piece of art that you simply fall in love with.

    Thanks for mentioning all these great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa, What terrific insight. How can we engage more fully with potential collectors? Proclaiming "payment plans arranged here!" for example, makes me look mercenary - or ridiculous. I don't know which. Maybe both? Still working on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, thanks so much. Again, I am trying to figure out ways to be easy to collect from. (I'm momentarily afraid of the word "buy".)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the word collect over buy for two reasons; it implies being added to a collection that is valued and it means you could own more than one!

    I'm going to to use 'collect' more in my own posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wonder too Amantha, because art is something most people feel they can live without. Maybe that's because they don't understand the value of it. What I've been taught so far is that if you can somehow make people feel connected to your art then it will eventually happen. But it's easier said then done I'm sure. I'm still trying to find my way too in this world of art marketing. Being an arist is difficult.

    ReplyDelete