Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Got something to say?

I plopped my small illustration on his desk. It was bold but short on content - who would know? He was a writer after all! My brilliant studio-mate cackled and said,

"The willow bends to the gentle breeze.
The wise man fears the bandit.
I thought that is must be profound.
For I could not understand it."

I got it. I made a new piece of art that was clear and connected to his project.

An artist statement also should be clear and connected to the project. Artists drive me right out of my mind when they do not speak clearly. I know why they speak in riddles - because it is horrifying to write an artist statement. It is the worst task. We put it off until the end and then come up with some lame crap. Maybe if I use enough big words no one will notice? Or maybe the artist really talks like that? - oh, dear.

I am in the middle of rewriting my artist statement. There is the quick way and the slow way. I am going with the turtle on this one because this is a race I want to win. Alyson Stanfield's The Relatively Pain-Free Artist Statement is helping me along the way. The Relatively Pain-Free Artist Statement provides daily writing exercises to help you dig into your work and  really connect with your audienceIt is going to take time to get it right and I don't want to hear snorting, cackling or clever verse in response to my statement.

If you really short on time, you can use the Artist Statement Generator which will whip up a statement for you instantly! It comes up with statements that sound an awful lot like legit statements I have read. Cackling guaranteed.

Amantha Tsaros Half Past Midnight, 24x24", Acrylic on Canvas, ©2012
Mystery = good for paintings. Not for Artist Statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment