Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Killing Cacti

Amantha Tsaros, Twin,  ©2011
The only time I have a green thumb is when there is paint on it. Maybe my interest in painting flowers is some kind of inspiration through ineptitude.

When I went away to college, I bought a little cactus thinking that I certainly could not kill that little thing. I put it on my sad windowsill and watered it and enjoyed it's round red face. One afternoon I took a close look at my spiky friend. When I picked up the pot it's tiny body flopped right over the side. It fainted! It had seemed so healthy a second ago. It's skin and needles seemed fine but inside it had died. I killed its spirit.

This is the pattern of my gardening.

A few years ago my mom gave me a plant and swore I would not be able to destroy it. It was one of those rubbery succulent plants. Very pretty with interesting shapes and a sweet green fuzz. How sweet! As usual, I heard, "You don't have to water it!" I took my plant home and placed it on a table. I happily regarded my mom's gift from across the room and hoped it would survive. Soon it occurred to me that truly this really was the hardiest plant ever. I called Mom.

"Mom? That plant you gave me? It's plastic isn't it?"

Do you need plastic plants?

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Love "the only time I have a green thumb is when there's paint on it" comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carol. It is TRUE! I am cooking up a series based on my mom's gardens because heaven knows I can't have a successful one of my own. But you should see the moss in my yard - it is so fuzzy and soft!

    ReplyDelete