Saturday, January 12, 2013

Your Art is not your Child. It isn't.

Have you created a dynamic piece that screams holy hell in aisle 5; demands a "moon-shaped eggplant" and then bites you when you carry its shrieking body out of the store?

This is a child.

Some artists say their work is "like their children." They can't be.

If it hangs on a wall, stands on a pedestal, adorns a person, place or thing, then this is probably art. Children will always be a part of you and you cannot sell them. You also cannot stick them in the closet if they disappoint you.

Please note the difference.

The rectangular object on the left is the art.


3 comments:

  1. Excellent, hilarious, powerful, concise. You have convinced me. I will stop saying that!

    Anyway the metaphor used to make me feel like I was neglecting my child. Now that I realize I have no child to neglect, my guilt is lessened. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eduardo,

    Glad you liked the post.

    Thank you for your comment - and confession. Happy to alleviate a little artistic guilt.

    Now get let's get back in the studio!

    -Amantha

    ReplyDelete